Tuesday 27 April 2010

M.I.A - Born Free





M.I.A, Born Free from ROMAIN-GAVRAS on Vimeo.



Yes fresh from child birth and a distinct love of making a statement in the modern new age ten(ties) M.I.A has linked up with Rusko to release her 3rd full length album currently untitled (you decide apparently so get on it!), and with it comes judging by a free Mp3 entitled There's space for ol dat i see (no my spelling has not gone to shit) and this rather graphic video for the song Born Free you get the feeling that ones immense rise to fame coupled by in the mainstream associations with T.I and Danny Boyle, the song has a certain influence to highlight people's ignorance of issues that need to be discussed and Miss M.I.A has not shyed away from making this point as brutally as possible.



Teaming up with Roman Gavras who's C.V includes directing music video's for French electro duo Justice which depicted strong parisian gang violence, Mr Gavras is no stranger to courting controversy, the purpose of this video seems to highlight a marauding military service seeming to punish a loosely based minority (in this case being ginger people) and uses this vague scenario to highlight what seemingly is rhetoric towards war but inclining in my view that although we are born free we still live as a subject as opposed to a citizen.

The song itself being honest leaves alot to be desired but saying that, it lasts for 9 minutes and in my opinion is making more a point then actually formulating a smash hit, known for hit records since the inception of Kala, Born Free and the rest of the unamed album I feel will take M.I.A in a new direction, making music that points towards cultural significance and tredding in areas that many wouldn't, the song, just for the video is bound to cause a stir, lets see if it does....

No comments:

Post a Comment