Monday 15 March 2010

GAGGLE + SBTRKT - New artists in 2010



As I click on GAGGLE's Myspace i'm awash with slogans such as scary, sexy, lick, GIRLS! And its band members seem to be SO much different to the norm , this in comparison to the like rubbish we see on TV these days namely shite TV music competitions, and with probably one of the few decent DJ's left on Radio 1 singing your prasies you would think GAGGLE = YES PLEASEEEEE! But on getting my listening game on its hard to think this group wont go beyond a hapless attempt to be so different the alternative fizz will turn into a bottle of coke in the fridge with the lid left open for a couple of days.

For those who don't know GAGGLE are a 20+ piece choir set up by god knows, their brash claims for the alternative are not without credit, I mean where else are you going to see a 20 piece girl outfit who dress like Jesus' disciples and sing in a frightening cohesion, but on listening to 'I hear flies' (their debut single) I can't see the musical differential that an alternative music scene needs more and more of these days as we head on out of the noughties. To be fair I haven't seen them live and I'm sure watching that cohesion on stage would be a sight to see but what I have heard from the medium of many internet sites I found myself bored, and thats a position that no music lover wants to find themselves in. By all means judge for yourself, hey its only my opinion but with all the imagination and innovation in the world to form a band the music has to sound the same also and unfortunately I just don't feel that, below is their debut single, I Hear Flies:-






From the brash and 'innovative' GAGGLE (pictured right if you dont know), we go to Young Turks latest protege in the form of SBTRKT. When The XX first burst on scene with their debut album it seemed we had another label who had the talent to seek out future successes and it seems the A&R squares have found their next artist, in the illusive Dub Step/Electro artist. Much like Burial, SBTRKT has taken the musical formula of hiding behind masks and keeping information scarce on his background, what we do know is that he's from London and his remixes of Basement Jaxx (Scars), These New Puritans (We Want War) and on a more commercial level the ever BRILLIANT! Tinnie Tempah (Pass Out, what else!!) and with his own tunes namely 'Timeless', I get the feeling we could have another illusive artist who makes the neccassary impact on the electronic stage.

Praises heaped on by Mary Anne Hobbs and Giles Peterson add to this illusive artists credibility, the synths and arrangements that he crafts has an instant listenble quality to it and I definately believe the added mix of remixes and own songs will see him get the recognition further into the year we go. Below is one of his own songs, 'Timeless' enjoy -



No comments:

Post a Comment